Monday, April 9, 2012

My best advice to quit the alcohol and still be social!

...You don't drink?!

 

A lot of people, when they hear about my lifestile, immediately ask if I really do not drink alcohol. And the answer is off course, no way in hell I would put that s*** in my body.
I come from a pretty heavy drinking culture, here in Denmark, especially among the youth. I have also joined myself, before my raw journey, I drank at least once a week and every time pretty heavy. Sometimes until the point of blackout.

It seems a lot of young people come to this lifestyle and have difficulties giving up alcohol for social reasons. And I admitt, it has been tough and it has taken some guts to go out and actually explain to people why you only drink water. But if you want to go on a 811 lifestyle and take responsibility for your life, you need guts!


Motivation!

The first thing you need to be clear about, is if you really wanna do this lifestyle. If the answer is yes, there is just no way around quittting the liquid poison, alcohol. There is no BS you just have to step up and do it. As simple as that.

Why do you feel like drinking ?

Second thing to do is realize why you really feel like drinking. I realized it was all about insecurity for me. Alcohol made me let go of some thoughts and feelings and made me think less about how other people percieved me. It seems this is the biggest reason for people to drink. And once you realize that, you can work on that WITHOUT the alcohol. And as times passes by, it is actually quite sad to se other people drink because it becomes so obvious how insecure they really are.
It might also be connected to the fact that you want to belong socially. But when you dig deeper, that is in fact also related to insecurity. The insecurity of making a choice and standing out. Because to be honest, I was embarrased to tell people, at first, that I didn't drink. I was afraid what they thought. And honestly, that is just silly. You should be embarrased about filling your body with toxins because "everybody does it" and because you wanna fit in. GET SOME REAL PROBLEMS ;)

Practical advice

If you choose to go out with friends, which is off course totally doable, then there is a few smart tricks. If you are at a party, make sure to always have a glass of water at hand, off course to stay hydrated, but also not to get confronted with the "you don't drink?!" so much. It will make you feel more comfortable if you have issues with sticking out. You could also fill your glass with fresh juice to get you carbed up.
If you go on bars, you can always get water for free at the bar.
If you go out on bars, please please please avoid places where people smoke indoors. it will make you feel like s***. And remember to get a reasonable bedtime! sugar, water, sleep is always crucial.
It is really important that you eat a huge carb meal before going out and still carb up doing the night, especially if you dance a lot, because going out burns a lot energy. Energy you want to get from carby fruitsources and not sweet drinks ;)



What to say if people ask?

If people ask you, and you'd rather not give them a whole lecture just answer :"I just feel best if I don't drink." Eventually you will see that you actually inspire people with your courage to stand out and make a reasonable choice. People just do not wanna hear a lecture about how bad it is; they are well aware and they often get really offensive if they feel like you are telling them, they are doing something wrong.


Remember...

Remember this lifestyle is a active choice, you are doing something great for yourself, for the earth and all animals. It is no time to be afraid to stand out! The norm in this world is insane. And by doing that you will in fact inspire a lot of people because you have courage to do some things they might not have at the moment. So everytime you feel dragged by the alcohol or feel week, remember this!

Going fruitty is the best party you will ever have!

2 comments:

  1. Very well put - I rarely meet anyone in Denmark who openly speaks out about the insane alcohol culture here, so I really enjoyed reading your post!

    The only other reason for drinking I've heard was "but it's more fun to be drunk!" to which I usually respond "I think it's more fun to not be poisoned, plus the people who do drink usually becomes quite a source of amusement for sober people such as myself". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And clearly - we can have so much more fun, when the brain is active and we remember what to do now and what we have done the next day. I am always the first person on the dancefloor; and I do not have to drink to become silly, gaggy or funny!
    Thank you Cecilie for this truly remarkable and inspiring site.
    Cheers in fruitjuice or smoothie ;)

    ReplyDelete